Final Project Ideas

 



I've had many ideas for this project, however I am having a rough time narrowing down because I don't know what sounds reasonable/doable given timing/resource constraints. What do you guys think? 

For both ideas, I'm curious about incorporating Carsten Holler's idea of "play as an active element" in art.


1. In-betweens/change/choice

For this I would like to work with doorways, and the idea of being enveloped. My initial thought was to create one big doorway in the middle of the room, but I've also thought about putting it on the floor or the back wall of the space. 

2. scale/envelopment

The last time I took a class with Johnie, I made a project around sound, scale and comfort. It involved a deep rumbling sound that I called a "sleeping dragon". I'd like to create spaces/moments/things for people to lean against or sit under, or look up at. Maybe I make the underbelly of a dragon/big creature for people to crawl under?

3. Sensory/Textures

Collecting or curating experiences that emphasize my experiences with sensory processing/integration differences.  Taking photos that turn these experiences into unreal/literal moments. 




Could hand lights and other textural things to be like stalactites.

If a sort of door was on the floor of a "cave" that I create? Two chances to step through something, or ponder doing so. 



4. Motion/emotion/containment/self-awareness 

Last year I did some experimenting with movement in photos, and I found that it was engaging both to  create and look at. It would be fun to create a space for people to come in and take a picture of themselves in motion (with a polaroid or something), and then tack it up on the wall. To go along with this, it might be interesting to put up instructions or guidance about different motion games... (brain dance, statue/sculptor, I go, You go...), and include larger example photos or videos.  Maybe there are different objects or floor textures to act as catalysts. I've also thought of thrifting some old containers and sculpting little things to look like they are sprawling out of them... 



I like the motion explosion of this. 


In terms of where, there's a back storage room in Art House that might be fun to hide a cave in. I'm not sure where the photo/motion one would fit. Mudd Gallery? Somewhere in the library where people are just existing/doing their stuff?






Comments

  1. I hope, one way or another, you end up doing a doorway piece someday! I think doorways have so much potential as signifiers of deeper liminal feelings. This would be incredibly ambitious and probably not feasible for this class, but what about creating spaces within spaces, doorways leading to new microclimates within the space? It could be fun to consider where the doors are leading, unless you're more interested in isolating the feeling of being in transition through a doorway, which also sounds super cool.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment