Life Collected By Objects






Objects have personhood, to me. I nest, because I am so connected to these things, and their experiences. Here are some objects that have found a way into my space:








Found at the back of a curio shelf while antiquing

I picked up this red spool because it seemed mythological, like Thesues' guide, or the twine a king used to hide his children in the woods. The string on it now is new, and I can't decide if I want to unwind it all at once, or be patient, because sometimes I think this spool seems burdened by the newness. But, maybe it's happy to be used again. All the creative or troubleshooting endeavors that this spool has been a part of are etched on its surface.
There's something about the scissors being tied in place by the twine itself that is ridiculous and a bit foreboding.





Matilda, but no orange balloon. 


















   I found this soft thing at the Appleton Thrift Shoppe when I   was out with friends. I called her Matilda, because it seemed like the only right name for her. I didn't know why, until I showed her to my mum, who immediately pulled out a story that I'd loved when I was little. I'd forgotten about it until I found Matilda, and I don't usually have explainable gut feelings, so this discovered connection was thrilling! I'm endlessly curious about how this wool keepsake made it all the way from New Zealand, and that nobody wanted to keep her. She was falling apart, I guess, but I think she's the sweetest. She's travelled so much farther across the world than I have



The memory of an experiment. 

I made this lump of poorly-set foam during last term. We were creating action props for an "independent study," and I had intended to make a soft foam action prop of a heavy, brass candlestick, (to hit someone over the head with). Instead, I made this pondering on memory, fragility and space taken up.


Life of objects, life in objects, life suggested by objects... 














Measuring Geese





A cup made by my Granny, which I use for painting.





















A children's program, printed on safety film.

"The Stolen Elephant"

A sort of precursor to short-form children's content. 
Tangible time, in two ways. An artifact of progressing technology. Nostalgia, though I'd never interacted with these before I found this one. 

I don't have a good recall. I don't think I ever fully gained object-permanence, because I forget things if I don't have a direct reason to remember them. Objects act like keys that I scatter about myself to ensure that I can still interact regularly with memories or thoughts that are important to me, and it is energizing to touch something that has memories of its own that I can feel under my fingers, even if I can't know the specifics of their past experiences.

















Comments

  1. I love the idea of objects acting like keys that you scatter around to help you remember. I also love how you chose to arrange things in space in your post! The way you staggered the measuring geese and your granny's cup, the way you arranged text around the children's program on safety film - your use of space seemed very methodical and it was compelling for me as a witness to your documentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you talked about the lives and personifications of objects. That you care for the spool's wants and desires, whether or not its happy about having new thread on it. I do feel like objects hold energy and emotion and memories in them. This makes me think about my box of keepsakes, and whether they feel sad being cooped up in a box while I have other objects sitting out on my bookshelves and window sills. Do my socks feel sad being in my drawers? Or maybe they feel cozy being tucked into little caves. Anyway, you've totally changed how I see objects.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment