Sound, Scale, Comfort...

The Sleeping Dragon


\Although I have wanted to work more with sound, I never got around to it. Over the past few months, though, I've been extremely interested in scale as an engaging and immersive element in most of the ideas I have, or the things I actually produce. So, here is 60 seconds of dragon snores, that could also be snores coming from deep in a cave, or from the walls all around you. I don't think it has to be a literal dragon connected to this sound, necessarily. It's something big, though. Big is all at once daunting and comforting. It could be trapping, or it could be protecting, grounding. 


Listen Here





This sound began as a simple trilling sound my friend makes with their tongue, and from there followed lots of meandering experiments with speed, tone, adding noise, layering, etc. 



"In general, we feel more secure when things are visible." MacLuhan, 117


The sounds of an immense, snoring dragon can have the same anxious or calm feeling within it that being physically present in a cave, or at the foot of a polar bear. 
For me, this sound evokes the way it feels to sense huge steps coming up in my life, or just to have large tasks headed my way without much clarity. Weird, though, because this sound is also so soothing. 














Comments

  1. HOW DID YOU MAKE THAT SOUND!! It honestly sounds like my cat snoring in my ear (hahaha). I absolutely loved this soundscape. For some reason though I didn't picture the dragon as a scary monster. It made me picture a furry dragon fast asleep in his cave, dreaming of flying and his next adventure. I actually pictured him more like the dragon from Neverending Story which was perfect! This sound really brought me back to my childhood, thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. his is a very creative project, I think it is very interesting. But I think if you can add some sound effects, such as a sneaky feeling, or have a campfire, will make the whole projet more full.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment